- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
- Chandigarh UT
- Clean Ganga
- Creative Corner
- Dadra Nagar Haveli UT
- Daman and Diu U.T.
- Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP)
- Department of Pharmaceuticals
- Department of Science and Technology
- Department of Telecom
- Digital India
- Economic Affairs
- Energy Conservation
- Expenditure Management Commission
- Food Security
- Girl Child Education
- Government Advertisements
- Green India
- Healthy India
- Incredible India!
- India Textiles
- Indian Railways
- Job Creation
- Mann Ki Baat
- Manual Scavenging-Free India
- Ministry for Development of North Eastern Region
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
- Ministry of Coal
- Ministry of Corporate Affairs
- Ministry of Culture
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Ministry of Home Affairs
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
- Ministry of Law and Justice
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Ministry of Power
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
- Ministry of Steel
- MyGov Move - Volunteer
- New Education Policy
- New India Championship
- NITI Aayog
- NRIs for India’s Growth
- Open Forum
- Revenue and GST
- Rural Development
- Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
- Sakriya Panchayat
- Skill Development
- Smart Cities
- Sporty India
- Swachh Bharat (Clean India)
- Tribal Development
- Watershed Management
- Youth for Nation-Building
TRAI Invites Suggestions on Consultation Paper on "Privacy, Security and Ownership of the Data in the Telecom Sector"
The rapid evolution of telecommunications services in India has aided the overall economic and social development of the country. It has enabled better connectivity among users, ...
The rapid evolution of telecommunications services in India has aided the overall economic and social development of the country. It has enabled better connectivity among users, increasing use of information and communication technology (ICT) services and emergence of a variety of new business models. Parallelly, there has been a quantum leap in the quantity and value of data that is being generated through the use of modern communication services. Each step of a user's interaction with ICT services, whether through traditional telecom services, devices, applications or other forms of content, results in the generation of large amounts of data.
Availability of data has enhanced the business and efficiency potential of data analytics. However, it is equally important to assess whether the data rights of individuals are being adequately protected in this changing environment. Data protection may therefore mean the ability of individuals to understand and control the manner in which information pertaining to them can be accessed and used by others. The Authority is of the view that the users should be empowered in respect of ownership and control of his/her personal data and to ensure this, all the players in the eco-system are bound to follow certain safeguards while collecting, storing and using the data pertaining to their subscribers. Full text of the consultation can be viewed here.
The consultation paper has been issued with the following objectives:
(a) To identify the scope and definition of Personal data, Ownership and Control of data of users of telecom services.
(b) Understand and Identify the Rights and Responsibilities of Data Controllers.
(c) To assess the adequacy and efficiency of data protection measures currently in place in the telecom sector.
(d) Identify the key issues pertaining to data protection in relation to the delivery of digital services. This includes the provision of telecom and Internet services by telecom and Internet service providers (TSPs) as well the other devices, networks and applications that connect with users through the services offered by TSPs and collect and control user data in that process.
Last date for submission of suggestions is 21st November, 2017, midnight.