- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
- Chandigarh UT
- Clean Ganga
- Creative Corner
- Dadra Nagar Haveli UT
- Daman and Diu U.T.
- Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Consumer Affairs
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP)
- Department of Pharmaceuticals
- Department of Science and Technology
- Department of Telecom
- Digital India
- Economic Affairs
- Energy Conservation
- Expenditure Management Commission
- Food Security
- Girl Child Education
- Government Advertisements
- Green India
- Healthy India
- Incredible India!
- India Textiles
- Indian Railways
- Job Creation
- Mann Ki Baat
- Manual Scavenging-Free India
- Ministry for Development of North Eastern Region
- Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare
- Ministry of Coal
- Ministry of Corporate Affairs
- Ministry of Culture
- Ministry of Defence
- Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Ministry of External Affairs
- Ministry of Home Affairs
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
- Ministry of Information and Broadcasting
- Ministry of Law and Justice
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME)
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas
- Ministry of Power
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
- Ministry of Steel
- MyGov Move - Volunteer
- New Education Policy
- New India Championship
- NITI Aayog
- NRIs for India’s Growth
- Open Forum
- Revenue and GST
- Rural Development
- Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana
- Sakriya Panchayat
- Skill Development
- Smart Cities
- Smart City Awards
- Sporty India
- Swachh Bharat (Clean India)
- Tribal Development
- Watershed Management
- Youth for Nation-Building
Promoting Research and Innovation
The progress of the nation depends on its sustained growth of education and research in science and technology. To meet the objective, our research should bear international comparison in terms of standards of attainment. A major weakness of Indian education and research is the relatively very small part played by the universities in the sum total of Indian research. The government can take several steps to encourage research and innovations in the universities. Promotion of research in liberal arts and social sciences, including inter-disciplinary research is significant too. The government needs to increase its allocations for Rand D activities. At the institutional level, there is a need to link teaching with research. The government needs to invest in faculty development and provide incentives for research, promote collaborative efforts between institutions in research.
• In what ways, aptitude for research and innovation should be developed in students and faculty members?
• What measures are needed to develop research capabilities of teachers and students?
• In what ways, research agenda should be prioritized at the higher education level?
• How private agencies can be encouraged and motivated to invest funds in university research and innovation activities?
• Which of the following strategies need to be pursued for promoting research & innovation
Outcome based research financing.
Liberal research grants for both social sciences and basic sciences.
Setting up Incubation Centers with Seed Money to do innovative research
Research leading to creation of intellectual property.
Setting up Research Parks in central educational institutions.
Joint appointments of faculty – enabling researchers to teach and teachers to engage in research.
Inter-disciplinary research – Institutions must come together for creating new knowledge at the intersections of existing disciplines.
• How can we make India become a favoured destination for R&D projects. How can we explore getting grants from abroad for R&D?
Name of the Moderator: Prof. Partha P. Chakrabarti, Director, IIT Kharagpur
Day, Date & time: Thursday, 18th June, 2015, 4.00 PM.