1. Where can I register for COVID-19 vaccination?
You can open the Co-WIN portal using the link www.cowin.gov.in and click on the “Register/Sign In” tab to register for COVID-19 vaccination, and follow the steps thereafter.
2. Is there a mobile app that needs to be installed to register for vaccination?
There is no authorised mobile app for registering for vaccination in India except Aarogya Setu and Umang Apps. You need to log into the Co-WIN portal at cowin.gov.in. Alternatively, you can also register for vaccination through the Aarogya Setu App or Umang apps.
3. Which age groups can register for vaccination on the Co-WIN portal?
All beneficiaries aged 15 years and above (birth year 2007 or earlier) can register for vaccination.
4. Is online registration mandatory for COVID-19 vaccination?
No, vaccination centers provide for a limited number of on-spot registration slots every day. Beneficiaries can register online or walk-in to vaccination centers where the vaccination team staff can register a beneficiary. In general, all beneficiaries are recommended to register online and schedule vaccination in advance for a hassle-free vaccination experience.
5. How many people can be registered in the Co-WIN portal through one mobile number?
Up to 6 people can be registered for vaccination using the same mobile number.
6. How can beneficiaries with no access to smart phones, computers or internet manage online registration?
Up to 6 people can be registered for vaccination using the same mobile number. Beneficiaries can take help from friends or family for online registration.
7. Can I register for vaccination without Aadhaar card?
Yes, if you are 18 years or older (birth year 2004 or earlier), you can register on Co-WIN portal using any of the following ID proofs:
NPR Smart Card
Voter ID (EPIC)
Unique Disability Identification Card (UDID)
Ration Card with Photo
If you are 15 - 18 years old (birth year 2005, 2006 or 2007), you can register on Co-WIN portal using any of the following ID proofs:
Unique Disability Identification Card (UDID)
Ration Card with Photo
Student Photo ID card
8. Is there any registration charge to be paid?
No, there is no registration charge.
9. Is it necessary to register again for 2nd dose or Precaution dose?
No, registration is required only once to create a beneficiary account on Co-WIN. Thereafter, appointments can be booked, both online or onsite, and vaccination can be availed from the same account. It is recommended that a beneficiary should register only once so that proper records are maintained. It is also recommended that the registration should be done through an active mobile number to avoid problems in future.
B. Vaccination schedules
1. What are vaccination schedules?
Yes, you can book appointment for vaccination through CoWIN portal after logging-in to the CoWIN Portal through your registered mobile number.
2. How can I find the nearest vaccination center?
You can search in Co-WIN portal (or Aarogya Setu or Umang) for the vaccination center nearest to your location by either searching through Map, PIN code or by choosing the State and the District, on the home page of Co-WIN portal.
3. What information is available regarding the vaccination schedules on Co-WIN?
Yes, while scheduling an appointment for vaccination, the system will show vaccination center names along with the name of the vaccine that will be administered.
4. What information is available in the published vaccination sessions?
Following information is displayed on screen for a vaccination session –
• Name of vaccination center
• Address of the vaccination center
• Date of vaccination session
• Vaccine type which is offered in the session
• Age bracket for which services are available
• Whether the services are “free” or “paid”.
• If “paid” the rate per dose.
• The vaccine dose number (if you look at schedule after signing in to your account, this information is not displayed because then the system only shows you sessions and slots for the dose no. for which you are eligible.)
• The number of slots available for booking
5. This appears to be too much information, how can I shortlist the sessions as per my preferences?
You can use the various filters and the browsing options to locate the vaccination center, session on the date of your convenience choice (subject to availability), for the desired vaccine (as per eligibility).
6. What to do if slots are not available in my preferred vaccination center on my preferred date?
In case of non-availability of slots for scheduling appointment for vaccination in the vaccination center of your choice, you may try scheduling appointment in other nearby centers or on some other dates for your preferred center. The portal gives you the feature of searching vaccination centers using your PIN code and District.
7. What to do if the vaccination schedule is blank or lists very few sessions for dates of my convenience or eligibility?
Yes, it is possible that no facility near your place has published their vaccination program as yet. You may wait for some time till vaccination facilities near your place are onboarded on Co-WIN platform, become active and start their services.
Vaccination schedules are published by the District Administrators (for government vaccination centers) and by the Site Managers (for private vaccination centers), from time to time. These managers are advised to publish longer schedules to provide sufficient advance visibility of slots to citizens. You should check again for more schedules after some time. (Please also see Q17).
8. When are the vaccination schedules published?
Vaccination sessions are published on Co-WIN at 8:00 am, 12:00 pm, 4:00 pm and 8:00 pm every day.
C. Scheduling Appointment - General
1. Can I get vaccination without appointment?
Appointments for vaccination can be taken either in online or onsite mode. Vaccination is recorded only after appointment.
2. Can I book an online appointment for vaccination?
Yes, you can book appointment for vaccination through Co-WIN portal (cowin.gov.in) or through the Aarogya Setu App, after signing-in through your registered mobile number.
3. Can I check the vaccine being administered at each vaccination center?
Yes, while scheduling an appointment for vaccination, the system will show vaccination center names along with the name of the vaccine that will be administered.
4. Which vaccines can I choose while booking appointment for vaccination?
If you are aged 18 or more (birth year 2004 or earlier), you can choose Covaxin, Covishield or Sputnik V. If you are 15-18 years old (birth year 2005,2006 or 2007), currently you are eligible only for Covaxin and the system will show you only Covaxin administering CVCs while booking appointment for vaccination.
5. How do I book a slot online?
The available number of slots in a session are displayed on screen for each of the sessions. If all slots are booked then instead of the number of slots, the text “Booked” is displayed. Once you have located the vaccination session of your choice, you can book a slot online by clicking the “No. of slots”, for any session that is not marked as “Booked”. Yes, it is as simple as that.
6. How do I know that my appointment is successfully booked?
Once an appointment is successfully done, the system send an SMS confirmation to the registered mobile number and also generates and displays the appointment slip. Also, on the dashboard, the “Schedule” tab changes to “Reschedule” and the appointment details are displayed. A tab for cancellation is also displayed after the appointment has been scheduled.
7. Can I download appointment slip?
Yes, the appointment slip can be downloaded after the appointment has been scheduled.
8. What if I cannot go for vaccination on the date of appointment? Can I reschedule my appointment?
The appointment can be rescheduled at any time. In case you are not able to go for vaccination on the date of appointment, you can reschedule the appointment by clicking on “Reschedule” tab.
9. Do I have an option for cancellation of appointment?
Yes, you can cancel an appointment already scheduled. You can also reschedule the appointment and choose another date or time slot of your convenience.
10. Where will I receive confirmation of date and time of vaccination?
Once an appointment is scheduled, you will receive the details of the vaccination center, date and time slot chosen for appointment in an SMS sent to your registered mobile number. You can also download the appointment slip and print it or keep it on your smart phone.
11. How to look for available slots for 1st dose?
You can search for slots after signing into your account. When you sign in, based on your eligibility for 1st, 2nd or precaution dose, you would see the “Schedule Appointment” button.
Please note that if none of doses are recorded in Co-WIN from the account from which you are signed in, only the option for 1st dose scheduling is visible on the dashboard.
In such a case, when you click the “Schedule” button, the system will show you all published sessions at all vaccination centers for all vaccines for which you are eligible. 15-18 age group is eligible only for COVAXIN hence the slots are shown only for COVAXIN. For others, all vaccine sessions are shown.
You can click on the “No. of slots” for your preferred vaccination session for booking an appointment and follow the steps thereafter.
12. Is it necessary to take 2nd dose of vaccination?
Yes, it is recommended that both doses of vaccine should be taken for realising the full benefit of vaccination. Both doses must be of the same vaccine type.
13. When should I take the 2nd dose of vaccination?
It is recommended that the 2nd dose of COVAXIN should be administered in the interval of 28 days to 42 days after the 1st dose. The 2nd dose of COVISHIELD should be administered in the interval of 84 days to 112 days after the 1st dose. The second dose of SPUTNIK V should be administered in the interval of 21 days to 90 days after the 1st dose.
14. Will my 2nd dose appointment be automatically scheduled by Co-WIN system?
No, you have to take an appointment for the 2nd dose vaccination. The Co-WIN system will help you book an appointment in a vaccination center where the same vaccine is being administered as the vaccine type (COVAXIN, COVISHIELD or SPUTNIK V) of the 1st dose.
15. How to book an appointment for 2nd dose?
If your first dose is already recorded in the system, then you are eligible for 2nd dose. The system will then show the “Schedule” button on your dashboard for 2nd dose. When you click the “Schedule” button, the system will –
• Show you vaccination sessions only with the same vaccine as you have taken for 1st dose.
• Also, only the sessions that are published after the minimum period between the 1st and 2nd dose are displayed here.
For example, if you have taken COVAXIN for 1st dose on 01/04/21, then the published slots for 2nd dose for COVAXIN for dates after 28/04/21 are displayed (since the minimum period between the 1st and 2nd dose of COVAXIN is 28 days).
Once you have located the session of your choice, click on the “No. of slots”.
16. I have taken the first dose of COVID Vaccination through on-spot registration. When I tried to book a second dose online, it asked me to schedule an appointment for the first dose. What to do?
Please ensure that you are signed in using the same mobile number through which you have registered for 1st dose. In such a case your first dose record will be visible on your dashboard and you can proceed to book the appointment for 2nd dose.
17. Who are eligible for Precaution dose?
The following types of beneficiaries who are fully vaccinated (with 2 doses) and have completed 9 months (39 weeks) after the 2nd dose, as per the records available on Co-WIN, are eligible to take precaution dose.
a. Health Care Workers (HCW)
b. Frontline Workers (FLW)
c. Citizens aged 60 years and more (with co-morbidity on medical advice) (birth year
1962 or earlier as recorded on Co-WIN).
18. How do I know if I am eligible for Precaution dose?
Your beneficiary type (HCW/FLW/Citizen) is now displayed on your dashboard. The system checks the your eligibility and if you are eligible (based on the records available in Co-WIN), your eligibility status and due date for precaution dose is also displayed on your dashboard (please see the picture below)
19. When should Precaution dose will be taken?
Precaution dose should be taken at least 9 months (39 weeks) after the date of 2nd dose. Citizens aged 60 years and more having co-morbidity can take precaution dose after medical advice.
20. Which vaccine should I get if I am eligible for Precaution dose?
Only the same vaccine which has been administered to you for 1st & 2nd dose, can be administered for precaution dose. In other words, if you have received COVISHILED earlier, you should get Precaution dose of COVISHIELD, if you have received COVAXIN earlier, you should get Precaution dose of COVAXIN. The provision for precaution doses for SPUTNIK V & ZyCOV-D Vaccines is currently not available.
21. Where can I get Precaution dose?
You can get Precaution dose at any of Government or Private vaccination center as per your preference, subject to availability of vaccination slots for same.
22. Do I require new registration for Precaution dose?
No, new registration is required for precaution dose. If you are fully vaccinated (received two doses) and already registered on Co-WIN, precaution dose can be administered through same Co-WIN account. In fact, precaution dose can only be recorded for those beneficiaries for whom the record of both doses are available in the system.
23. How do I can book my Precaution dose?
You can book your precaution dose either through online appointment or on-site/walk-in appointment at vaccination center based on the availability of vaccination slots. If you are eligible for precaution dose, the due date of same would be visible in your Co-WIN account and you can also able to schedule appointment. When you click on the
“Schedule Precaution Dose” button, only the slots available for precaution dose will be displayed in the vaccination schedule. The schedule will be displayed only for dates on or after the date on which you become eligible. You can book the appointment by clicking on “No. of slots” and thereafter following the steps.
24. I am 60 years old and have one or more co-morbidity conditions. Do I need to submit any certificate proof of same or doctor’s advice proof (prescription/letter) at the time of taking Precaution dose?
No, you are not required to carry or submit any document proof on co-morbidity or doctor’s advice proof at the time of taking precaution dose. However, it is advised that the precaution dose should be taken only after medical advice.
25. I am Health Care Worker/Front Line Worker, fully vaccinated and also 9 months have been elapsed after second dose, but why Precaution dose is not visible on my Co-WIN account? What to do in such case?
This may be that case if you have not been tagged as HCW/FLW on Co-WIN. Please check the beneficiary type on the dashboard (Q35). You must have been received your doses from citizen category as per the records available on Co-WIN. You need to visit any Government CVC along with employment certificate in order to get yourself tagged in appropriate category before taking precaution dose after prescribed time interval. This tagging facility is only available at Government CVCs in onsite mode.
26. I am Health Care Worker (HCW)/Front Line Worker (FLW) but taken earlier vaccine doses from citizen category. Whether tagging of HCW/FLW is must to get Precaution dose?
Yes, if you are Health Care Worker (HCW)/Front Line Worker (FLW) but tagged as Citizen on Co-WIN and if your age is less than 60 years then tagging as a HCW/FLW is a must (as indicated in response to Q42), in order to get precaution dose. If you are aged 60+ you can also choose to get precaution dose in the citizen category. However, it is suggested that you should go for correct tagging.
27. What should I do, if I am eligible for Precaution dose but unable to book online appointment for same?
This may happen when you have taken 2 doses but in the account in which you are signed in, your vaccination record is available for only 1 dose. In such a case, since the system does not have record of both earlier doses, the “Schedule Precaution Dose” tab is not activated. Also, if you are eligible for precaution dose but unable to book online appointment for same due to any reason, you are required to visit vaccination center to take precaution dose through on-site/walk-in appointments. Vaccinator may also help you in case Co-WIN records do not show your both vaccine doses where you may be having two dose 1 certificates taken from different accounts. This feature is under development and will be released soon.
1. Is vaccination free at all vaccination centers?
No, currently, vaccination is free at Government hospitals. In private facilities, vaccination is priced with ceiling limits at INR 780 for Covishield, INR 1,410 for Covaxin and INR 1145 for Sputnik V.
2. Can I check the price of the vaccine?
Yes, the System will show the price of the vaccine below the name of the vaccination center at the time of scheduling an appointment.
3. Can I choose the vaccine?
System will show the vaccine being administered in each vaccination center at the time of scheduling an appointment. Beneficiary can choose the vaccination center as per their choice of vaccine being administered. Beneficiaries aged 15-18 year (born in 2005, 2006, 2007) are eligible only for Covaxin.
4. What precautions should I take at the time of 2nd dose vaccination?
The Vaccination Centers have been directed to ensure that if a beneficiary is being vaccinated with 2nd dose, they should confirm that the first dose vaccination was done with the same vaccine as is being offered at the time of second dose and that the first dose was administered more than 28 days ago for COVAXIN, 84 days ago for COVISHIELD and 21 days ago for SPUTNIK V. You should share the correct information about the vaccine type and the date of 1st dose vaccination with the vaccinator. You should carry your vaccine certificate issued after the first dose.
5. Can I get vaccinated with 2nd dose or Precaution dose in a different State/District?
Yes, you can get vaccinated in any State/District. The only restriction is that you will be able to get vaccinated only on those centers which are offering the same vaccine as was administered to you on your first dose.
6. What precautions should I take at the time of Precaution dose vaccination?
The Vaccination Centers have been directed to ensure that if a beneficiary is being vaccinated with precaution dose, they should confirm that the earlier doses of vaccination were with the same vaccine as is being offered at the time of precaution dose and that the second dose was administered more than 39 weeks ago. You should share the correct information about the vaccine type and the date of 2nd dose vaccination with the vaccinator. You should carry your vaccine certificate issued after the second dose.
7. Which documents should I carry with me for vaccination?
You should carry your identity proof specified by you at the time of registration on the Co-WIN portal and a printout/screenshot of your appointment slip and your previous vaccination certificate, if any.
8. What is the 4-digit secret code on the Account Details page of self-registration portal on Co-WIN?
At the time of vaccination, you may be asked for the 4-digit secret code. This is to ensure that the rightful beneficiary receives the vaccine dosage and there is no misuse. The secret code is also printed in the appointment slip.
9. How do I know if my vaccination detail has been correctly recorded in the system?
A confirmation SMS is sent to your registered mobile number on successful recording of vaccination. Also, your vaccination certificate is generated with the details of the dose administered. You should check the details recorded in the vaccination certificate.
If you do not receive the confirmation SMS, you should immediately contact the vaccination team/ center in-charge.
10. I have not registered online but not taken a vaccine, but still I received a Text SMS informing that you have been vaccinated successfully, Why so & what should I do?
If you have received Text SMS with your vaccination status as “vaccinated’’, this is due to occasional, isolated case of inadvertent data entry error by vaccinator in updation of vaccination data of beneficiaries. In such case you may revoke your vaccination status from fully vaccinated to partially vaccinated or from partially vaccinated to non vaccinated through raise an issue option in your Co-WIN account. You can get your due vaccine dose, may be at nearest vaccination center, as per the existent standard guidelines once new vaccination status is successfully updated in the system.
E. Vaccine Certificate
1. Why do I need a vaccination certificate?
A COVID Vaccine Certificate (CVC) issued by the government offers an assurance to the beneficiary on the vaccination, type of vaccine used, and the certificate also provides the next vaccination due. It also is an evidence for the beneficiary to prove to any entities which may require proof of vaccination specially in case of travel. Vaccination not only protects individuals from disease, but also reduces their risk of spreading the virus. Therefore, there could be a requirement in future to produce certificate for certain kind of social interactions and international travel.
In this context the certificate issued by Co-WIN has built in security features to guarantee genuineness of the certificate which can be digitally verified using approved utilities which are provided in Co-WIN portal. The certificates can be verified by visiting verify.cowin.gov.in and scanning the QR code.
2. Who is responsible for providing the vaccination certificate?
The Vaccination Center is responsible for generating your certificate and for providing a printed copy post vaccination on the day of vaccination itself. Please do insist on receiving the certificate at the Center. For Private Hospitals, the charges for providing a printed copy of the certificate are included in the service charge for vaccination.
3. Where can I download vaccination certificate from?
You can download vaccination certificate from the Co-WIN portal (cowin.gov.in) or the Aarogya Setu app or through Digi-Locker by following the simple steps. You may do so by using the mobile number used at the time of registration.
4. Can you only access the Co-WIN website and register to get your vaccination certificate a limited number of times in a day?
No, there is no limitation in the number of times one normally logs in to Co-WIN portal and accesses the certificate. However, if one tries innumerably, the system treats such cases as a bug. If one inadvertently enters a wrong OTP, a waiting period of 180 seconds is to be maintained before one can request another OTP.
5. After trying once do you need to wait certain amount of time to try again? In other words, can you only do it once every hour or so?
No, if you have given wrong OTP 3 times, the system will not allow to login from the same instance. To login again refresh the browser to create a new instance and login with your mobile no. and new OTP.
6. How can I access COVID Vaccination Certificate from DigiLocker?
You can find vaccination certificate in DigiLocker under Ministry of Health and Family Welfare under Health category. Click on Covid Vaccine certificate and enter Beneficiary Reference ID to access the certificate.
7. My vaccination certificate is generated even if I have not been vaccinated, can it be cancelled?
Yes, if you are not vaccinated and your vaccination certificate is generated, in this case you may revoke your vaccination status from fully vaccinated to partially vaccinated or from partially vaccinated to non vaccinated through raise an issue option in your Co-WIN account. You would be issued new Vaccination Certificate after taking due vaccine dose.
8. Why do I need an International Travel Certificate?
Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has introduced the International Travel Certificate which complies with international standards for travel abroad. The certificate is a proof that you have received all doses of vaccination for travelling internationally. This certificate lets you enter countries without any hassle of quarantine or testing for COVID-19.
9. Can I apply for International Travel Certificate?
Any individual who has received all the doses of vaccination can apply for International Travel certificate.
10. Can I travel to all the countries with International Travel Certificate?
Entry requirements vary across different countries. You may be able to enter some countries with this certificate, while you may have to provide a range of test results in others.
11. Where can I apply for International Travel Certificate?
You can visit www.cowin.gov.in and click on “Register/Sign” In. Log in with the registered mobile number that you used at the time of registration. Click on the “International Travel Certificate” tab against your dose 2 details. You will be required to enter your date of birth and passport number and click on Submit.
Alternatively, you can click on “Raise an Issue” tab on the Account Details page. Select “Add Passport Details to my vaccination certificate for travelling abroad”. You will be required to select the member, enter date of birth and passport number and click on Submit.
12. Where can I download my International Travel Certificate from?
You can download it from the “International Travel Certificate” tab under “Show Certificate” option against Dose 2 details.
13. When can I download my International Travel Certificate?
International Travel Certificates are generated within 2 hours of your request. You can download your certificate 2 hours after applying for it.
F. Reporting side effects
1. Whom do I contact in case of side effects from vaccination?
You can contact on any of the following details:
a. Helpline Number: +91-11-23978046 (Toll free - 1075)
b. Technical Helpline Number: 0120- 4783222You may also contact the Vaccination Center where you took vaccination, for advice.
G. Raising issues
1. Who can raise an issue in the Co-WIN portal?
Beneficiaries who have received at least one dose of vaccination can raise an issue in the Co-WIN portal after signing in to their account.
2. Where can I raise an issue/query related to Co-WIN?
You can sign in to your Co-WIN account. On the dashboard, click on “Raise an Issue” tab.
3. What are the kinds of issues that can be raised on Co-WIN?
You can raise the following issues on Co-WIN:
a. Correction in certificate regarding Name, Age, Gender and Photo ID
b. Merging two dose 1 certificates
c. Addition of passport details to vaccination certificate
d. Report an unknown member registered to Co-WIN account
e. Transfer registered members to another account
f. Regenerate Final Certificate
g. Revoke Vaccination
For detailed guidelines on how to raise an issue, go to https://prod-cdn.preprod.co-vin.in/assets/pdf/Grievance_Guidelines.pdf.
4. How much time does the Co-WIN portal take in issue resolution?
All issues raised in the portal are resolved within 24 hours. Beneficiaries can track the status of the issues raised by clicking on the “Track request” tab next to “Raise an Issue” tab, only once a request has been raised. For revoke vaccination status, the changes may take 3-7 days after submitting the request successfully.
5. Where do I raise issues not listed under the categories mentioned above in Q71?
In case of any issue/grievance not falling under the five categories mentioned above, beneficiaries may reach out to the below contact details:
a. Helpline Number: +91-11-23978046
b. Technical Helpline Number: 0120- 4783222
c. Helpline Email Id: email@example.com